* 60 years ago today the Auschwitz Death Camp was taken by Soviet troops; please observe a moment of silence and reflection. Some details on the memorials taking place ... and Complete Blogburst-Remembering the Wannsee Conference and the Liberation of Auschwitz, via Cao ... a portion of which:
Remembering the Wannsee Conference and the Liberation of Auschwitz
* This article is posted by participants of the January 27, 2005, Blogburst to remember the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp, sixty years ago, on January 27, 1945.
* On January 20th, we marked the anniversary of the 1942 Wannsee Conference. In the course of that Conference, the Nazi hierarchy formalized the plan to annihilate the Jewish people. Understanding the horrors of Auschwitz requires that one be aware of the premeditated mass-murder that was presented at Wannsee.
* Highlighting these events now has become particularly important, even as the press reports that '45% of Britons have never heard of Auschwitz' (Jerusalem Post, December 2, 2004)
* The Holocaust, symbolized by Auschwitz, the worst of the death camps, occurred in the wake of consistent, systematic, unrelenting anti-Jewish propaganda campaign. As a result, the elimination of the Jews from German society was accepted as axiomatic, leaving open only two questions: when and how.
* As Germany expanded its domination and occupation of Austria, Czechoslovakia, France, the Low Countries, Yugoslavia, Poland, parts of the USSR, Greece, Romania, Hungary, Italy and others countries, the way was open for Hitler to realize his well-publicized plan of destroying the Jewish people.
* After experimentation, the use of Zyklon B on unsuspecting victim was adopted by the Nazis as the means of choice, and Auschwitz was selected as the main factory of death (more accurately, one should refer to the “Auschwitz-Birkenau complex”). The green light for mass annihilation was given at the Wannsee Conference, January 20, 1942, and the mass gassings took place in Auschwitz between 1942 and the end of 1944, when the Nazis retreated before the advancing Red Army. Jews were transported to Auschwitz from all over Nazi-occupied or Nazi-dominated Europe and most were slaughtered in Auschwitz upon arrival, sometimes as many as 12,000 in one day. Some victims were selected for slave labor or “medical” experimentation. All were subject to brutal treatment.
* In all, between three and four million people, mostly Jews, but also Poles and Red Army POWs, were slaughtered in Auschwitz alone (though some authors put the number at 1.3 million). Other death camps were located at Sobibor, Chelmno, Belzec (Belzek), Majdanek and Treblinka.
* Auschwitz was liberated by the Red Army on 27 January 1945, sixty years ago, after most of the prisoners were forced into a Death March westwards. The Red Army found in Auschwitz about 7,600 survivors, but not all could be saved.
* For a long time, the Allies were well aware of the mass murder, but deliberately refused to bomb the camp or the railways leading to it. Ironically, during the Polish uprising, the Allies had no hesitation in flying aid to Warsaw, sometimes flying right over Auschwitz.
* There are troubling parallels between the systematic vilification of Jews before the Holocaust and the current vilification of the Jewish people and Israel. Suffice it to note the annual flood of anti-Israel resolutions at the UN; or the public opinion polls taken in Europe, which single out Israel as a danger to world peace; or the divestment campaigns being waged in the US against Israel; or the attempts to delegitimize Israel’s very existence. The complicity of the Allies in WW II is mirrored by the support the PLO has been receiving from Europe, China and Russia to this very day.
* If remembering Auschwitz should teach us anything, it is that we must all support Israel and the Jewish people against the vilification and the complicity we are witnessing, knowing where it inevitably leads.
* New Beagle variant - sev 3 ... prompts 'ThreatCon' to rise to 2 ... also 'W32.Spybot.Worm.' targets MySQL via TCP/3306 and (possibly) uses other vectors as well
* Bush orders end to 'hiring' of columnists ... good!
* More on the train derailment yesterday ... some douche was going to commit suicide, then chickened out ... but left his car on the tracks. He is (and should be!) getting charged with 10(+?) counts of murder. Dumb enough to seriously try to commit suicide, and then even dumber to kill others (while failing to kill himself). Despicable. Inconsiderate. Update : FOX is reporting 11 dead so far, more expected ...
* Iraq: 1 US Marine, and 6 Iraqis, killed in polling location bombing ... condolences for all of them (and for the 30 Marines & 1 Sailor killed yesterday!) ... and major polling center attacks
* AG approved by committee, confirmation expected to follow ... committee was split along party lines ... the word for today is obstructionist :P
* WWII GI's remains (finally) come home
* Big Oil denying Global Warming ... and, OTOH, is GW twice as bad as previously thought? ... methinks the truth is somewhere in the middle, or closer to the lesser side if anything :)
* Ever wonder what (some) firefighters (allegedly) do during their 'downtime'?
* Draw something violent, get arrested? For a felony!? ... and how would this impact violent cartoons - South Park, Drawn Together, good-old fashioned Bugs Bunny? The answer is (more than likely) not at all, but still worth a thought?
* Wash, Wisconsin, East At Louis ... and now Sacramento? ... Democrat voter fraud all over the place
* The September 11th Documentary project
* UN blames US, Jews for problems in the Arab World ... Hmm, UN ... the same UN that literally gave Saddam $Billions? More reason we should stop supporting the scum in NY; let them make their home in France (the unemployed people there would surely be able to support that overhead) ... from a RightNation Post:"I am sick of my tax dollars supporting the very people who would dearly love to see each and every American dead, or in chains."
* 'Dead man' starts breathing on the morgue table
* Work for MS, make mad $$$ on the side
* Detroit -3 schools ... flu issues
* Kids not listening? Give them a stunner. Not the wrestling move, the electric kind!
* Cruise ship disabled by 'massive wave'
* CFG start a new project : Social Security Choice!
* China, bastion of civil rights, rounds up mourners and beats them
* Kennedy, still living in some weird bizzaro world, says troops must leave Iraq ... and as usual, he condemns Bush without actually giving any details on how he would do it. Throw in a touch of intentional misdirection and you have a Senator.
* Massive Ford recall ... cruise control switch problems, can cause fires even while it is not in use
* More on Angry Ted and FOX-Hitler ... "Does this make CNN an extension of Putin’s regime? Or do they prefer Saddam?"
* Ever wonder how a Venus Flytrap works? ... like the Female Mantrap, appears to be one thing until you are within striking distance, then it locks you in ... :)
* While old-people-sex is oogy to think about, this spray can make it happen ... pheromones
* SBC + AT&T? ... $15B here, a couple of mergers there, pretty soon you have a HUGE company ...
* MS to require 'Genuine Windows' for OS update downloads
* Earth swimming in Dark Matter?
* Chimeras being made? ... not the one from the MM, but a real human-animal hybrid ... this sounds a)like a bad 50's movie and b)VERY SCARY?
* Is the democratic Party broken? ... check out the (non-existent) fix #4!
* Cool new spacesuits ... "extreme exploration" suits ... I'm waiting for the suit from Sentenced to Prism' :)
* GBrowser just the first step, GOS to come? ... interesting ...
* Using WINE to run Win* malware
* Misc thoughts on high performance computing, from Sun
* Recap of the ISS's EVA
* WD 250GB HDD (7200RPM ATA/100) for $99!?
* eXeem Lite available (for now)
* BT -
* Weyco fires smoking employees ... this is a very slippery slope; fat people next? Then ugly? Then Bald? Then minorities? Oh, I know - they could fire anyone not from / a member of a specific religion! (or a specific church!)
* Stop 'complaining', start a revolution
* Mark Levin on a judge releasing 200 felons? ... in Delaware ...
* No system for tracking illegal aliens who commit felonies ... or cause train derailments?
* Post-factory addition of WLAN to your laptop
* Milky Ways Black Hole could erupt again
* Survive Tsunami, get a fungal infection ... keep sending aid!
* Jeep factory worker kills Supervisor, self
* Apple Commercials - all 779MB of them!
* Fun with CSS
* New moon pics
* New Traffic Exchange - BlogAzoo ... still getting started up, click there to use me as your referrer!
* Pluto's moon was a knock-off
* Why can't we get UWB?
* Like iTunes, but for your PSP?
* Genetic couch potato?
* Mark Levin, on AG-select AG
* Nickie has a thing or two to say to ASCAP
* New OOTS! ... hors d'oeuvres!
* Flinching causes brain drainage
* Senate debates gravity
* eBay admits strange auctions just corporate marketing technique
* Bush picking up a part-time job
* Jesus takes away man's sin, man asks for it back
* Hitler goes to party as Prince Harry
* A humorous take/addition on/to a real story
* Clinton donates his book to Banda Aceh
* For all us guys : write your name in the snow!
* True: MapPoint : Find the LONGEST route ... MS boots it ... thanks Greg!
... if you see the nag-banner instead of the comic, just click - worth reading!
Quote of the Day
Love is grand; divorce is at least a hundred grand.
thanks SurinderXX! ... go there, other good ones!