* Symantec :
Raising the ThreatCon to Level 2 in response to W32.Sober.O@mm being increased to a category 3 threat. The mass mailing worm W32.Sober.O may arrive as an attachment named account_info-text.zip, mail_info.zip, or our_secret.zip. The zip archives contain a malicious executable named "Winzipped-Text_Data.txt .exe". Although the file appears to be a text file it actually has a double extension of exe or pif and is the worms binary executable
... You can/should update your NAV defs here (assuming you are using NAV, that is)
... And you can get the removal tool here!
* Kerry and his non-signed 180 ...
Today celebrates 100 days since John Kerry promised Russert he'd release his military records. Watch him promise Russert on national television that he'll release his records. here at Trey's ... FAX HIM THE FORM!
His Boston Fax #         : (617) 248-3870
His Washington Fax # : (202) 224-8525
Here's a suggested cover letter:Senator Kerry,We've formed a blogburst group and here are the bloggers who are contributing so far. If you want to join the blogroll for Kerry's 180, click here to email Cao, and please include the url for your blog. She'll send you the code for the blogroll. The blogburst is every Tuesday, so don't forget to blog about it. All you have to do is encourage people to send him his 180!
100 days ago, on National television, you told Russert you'd sign your form 180. Senator Kerry, it is vital that the American public have as much information as possible about their elected representatives in the United States Senate. In various ways, you have rightly called upon President Bush to be fully accountable and to provide full disclosure. In the same spirit I believe it is incumbent upon you to make your total military record open to the American people.
Specifically, I formally request that you authorize the Department of the Navy to independently release your military records (through your execution of Standard Form 180 attached), complete and unaltered, including your military medical records. Further, I call upon you to correct the misconceptions your campaign sought to create as to your conduct while in Vietnam. Permit the American public the opportunity to assess your military performance upon the record.
I, along with many others, call upon you to provide a full, accurate accounting of your conduct in Vietnam.
____(your name here)___
* Terri'ish : 'Brain damaged for 10 years, firefighter makes astounding recovery' ... "and has undergone therapy ever since" ... something Terri never got
* Missing FA18 - one pilot's body recovered ... "Navy officials told CNN they believe the jets collided with each other in bad weather during the routine mission" ... condolences for him, and prayers that the other pilot is OK
* National ID card, coming soon? ... "Under the rules being considered, before granting a driver's license, a state would have to require proof of citizenship or legal presence, proof of an address and proof of a Social Security number" - GOOD! .... "Eleven states now grant driver's licenses to noncitizens who do not have visas. There is no reliable estimate of how many licenses have been issued to noncitizens, whether in the country legally or illegally." - exactly, that is why some sort of GOOD, NATIONWIDE standard is needed!
* SCOTUS : Will review the Solomon Amendment ... the 'Military Recruiting requirement' (for federal funding)
* Stock Market : Ready for the historically slow season?
* Afghanistan : Illegal weapons cache, or construction/demolition supplies, blows up "anti-Taliban warlord" - kills 26 ... condolences .. developing ...
* Cisco releasing "Adaptive Security Appliance 5500 series" ... "puts up to 18 different security and network management functions, from detection of unwanted intruders to keeping employees off data-intensive free music-downloading sites such as Kazaa, all one on single box ... $3,000 to $17,000"
* People's Republic ofWashington (State) : Gregoire to lose her stolen-fair-and-square Governorship? ... that would be an amazing triumph of Democracy, especially for Dino Rossi! (I know - this is very premature ... but the evidence is overwhelming!) ... found via CHT ... hmm - perhaps this is all nothing more than an intellectual exercise with no chance or fixing this situation?
* Poland : Happy "National Constitution Day"
* US bartender dies whilst climbing Mt Everest
* Iraq : Memo intercepted? Terrorist morale low? ... Zarqawi depressed? So sad, Rusty prescribes Wellbutrin! ... and NOfP comments on the "Liberalism = Reality Denial"
* Terri : Greer getting an award?? ... awarded, he should be getting removed from the bench! ... WTF?! ... don't believe me?, check here for the list of broken laws!
* Filibuster : Try the Nostalgia Option ... "If you are going to filibuster, then you should have to filibuster. Filibusters should come at some personal and political cost" ... AMEN TO THAT!
* A few thoughts on SOX ... compliant, and cholesterol free!
* BioEthics : 'Cowering in the shadows of “The brave new world”' ... "At times, it seems scientists have never quite grown out of being the little boy or girl in the basement with a chemistry set who set out to mix two compounds together just to see what would happen and end up with either a toxic mess or a small explosion" but WRT genetic engineering, ESCR, etc. ... another TRULY excellent post from SuperHawk!
* This is the kind of scum terrorists we are dealing with ... in short - cut open body, fill with explosives, call family to get their son, blow them all up.
* AntiCivilLibertiesUnion / Cali : Parents have no say in what children learn ... ACLU doesn't care ... found via StopTheACLU
* Democrat Officials believe that they are smart, and that their constituents are dumb ... well, if you voted for a Democrat maybe ... um, nevermind.
* Ugly children get less love? ... from their parents!
* UselessNations : Kofi, guilty, on tape ... developing ...
* DeLay'ish : Dems, jealous of media attention, commit ethics violations of their very own ... and the real reason DeLay is being targeted : "He has been a tremendously effective legislator and political infighter, and the Democrats want him sidelined." ... and, amusing sidenote : "However, as DeLay himself warned, he has done nothing that Democrats haven't also done, and in this case, apparently a few things less than that" ... not that this makes it right, but if everyone is doing it there is a bigger problem at hand that what any one person is doing!
* Left Lane Lollygaggers getting fined! ... sweet; some states finally enforcing 'failure to yield' laws - come on, Virginia, you can sign up for this too!
* Social inSecurity : Sacrifices expected ... "most people are prepared to endure some pain to preserve the nation's retirement system" - good news, as there is no silver bullet and the Ponzi scheme we call Social Security is in need of repair (or execution, unfortunately not enough people support that) ... remember : Private Accounts = Good; Tax Increases = BAD! ... distressingly, USA Today's poll - "53% would choose higher taxes, 38% lower benefits" ... ugh, some people just don't get it.
* Sgrena doc - US Military doesn't know how to use .PDF ... releases report with all data in it, that they though had been securely redacted ... whoops! (and she still lied about the details)
* The Walmart Myth ... and a dose of truth, "The problem was that the critics based their notions on a mythic version of small-town life. Oddly, a lot of them seemed to live in cities and had only a vague connection to real small towns."
* Hitler's last days
* Insurrection : MSM vs Bloggers ... FEC cited, when all we need is full disclosure of all donations! ... and missing the real problem - "McCain and RI took in over $100,000 from George Soros in 2004, and like amounts from other leftists groups, while Thune paid a couple of bloggers a few thousand as consultants"
* Food container vs Prostate? ... possible link found ... also, oral contraceptives possibly affect fetal development!
* Illegal Immigration : Mexican Senator advocates using the Mexican Police / Military to stop illegals from crossing out of Mexico / into the US ... AWESOME! ... something we should be doing as well! ...sadly, he was coerced into narrowing the scope to a few 'dangerous' areas, we should be under no such constraint! ... here is just one example of why we need to stop illegal immigration : 'Immigrant Pleas Crushing Federal Appellate Courts' ... while on the topic, those who are here want to be legalized ... some interesting points, but the catch is "how to legalize them in an orderly manner that neither stiffs those now waiting in line for visas" ... and the only way I would support any type of legalization (or guest worker program) would be if it was only for those here already and it is combined with a serious effort to stem the influx of new illegals
* Stagflation nonsense ... "Why don’t the media pick on Western Europe or Japan, places where economic growth rates are hovering at less than 1 percent. Ours is a healthy, prospering economy" ... "And so long as the Bush Republicans nuke the filibuster-happy Democrats, the president’s pro-growth reform agenda — of more investor-class ownership and greater tax-freedom to save — will expand the economy’s potential to grow even more in the years ahead"
* Quantum physics, entanglement and the Great Wall of China ... "We used to use light from fires on the Great Wall to signal invasions, now we are going to signal the future"
* Academia : "Larkin's article, therefore, goes a long way toward proving the need for an Academic Bill of Rights" ... what liberal Bias (Hi Ward; how are you and your Little Eichmann's doing?!)
* More on PBS ... " PBS is a government subsidy for obnoxious, deep-pocketed progressives and a jobs program for liberal journalists" ... yeah, no media bis here (there)
* NASA : Shuttle launch deferred ... think July ...
* NASA : Searching for Mars Polar Lander
* HUGE Proxy list
* GPL to face another legal challenge
* Polio reaches Indonesia ... that's why you can't stop vaccinating; unless you are sure the disease (virus in this case) is completely dead (which is nearly impossible to do - so just keep vaccinating!)
* More troubles for GM ... brake problems this time ...
* Some truths about Air Quality, and what you aren't hearing from the ALA
* Pat Robertson - Open Mouth, Change foot ... described activist judges as Nazis, "greater danger to the US than the murderous terrorists who killed over 3,000 people on 9/11" ... for shame! ... although someone over @ NOfP disagrees
* Finger-in-food story ... frozen custard this time ... oh, and true this time (unlike the Wendy's hoax) ...
* 13yr old probably going to Juvie until he is 25 ... killed a 'friend' with a baseball bat; such a terrible waste of two lives - if he was just one year older he could be tried as an adult
* How To : Break Windows Media DRM9 ... found via BoingBoing
* Did you hear about the $20M game of Rock-Scissors-Paper? ... from the comments : Saddam plays RSP too!
* Adscam : Ending?
* Bloggers : "Asymmetric warfare has come to the workplace: managers may sometimes have the power to hire and fire, but the peasants have the Internet now" ... and don't forget sites like F'ed Company, Internal Memos, Vault, the Yahoo Finance boards, etc.
* 'Affirmative Action Does More Harm Than Good' ... been saying that for years! ... "Policymakers should end the harmful practice of racial preferences in college admissions"
* Secular Humanists really fear Christians, and the TMLC vs the ACLU
* Bloggers : Blogging cuts into your family time ... duh!
* Global Warming : More needed for 'smoking gun'
* The future of Databases?
* Review of VMWare 5.0
* Bloggers : AMWM presents: Blog Creation 101 ... and 102 ... and 103
* Manager's Toolkit ... good read from 'Slacker Manager'!
* The Malkovichilator! ... e.g. :Malkovichilated-NIF , or you could try the Condi-is-so-hot-ilated-NIF ... nice!
* OBL was just running from his wedding!
* Flash : Linux!
* Timeline of the Internet ... 1998 : "3lit3 hax0rz, d00d: Teens become most prolific illiterate writers in history" ... 1999 : "Everquest Released. People give up repetitive, boring, normal lives in exchange for repetitive, boring, virtual lives" ... etc. etc.
* True : Denny's releases a 15lb burger ... disgusting, "Beer Barrel Belly Buster, the burger comes with 10.5 pounds of ground beef, 25 slices of cheese, a head of lettuce, three tomatoes, two onions, a cup-and-a-half each of mayonnaise, relish, ketchup, mustard and banana peppers - and a bun"
* 'Democratic Party Solutions Applied to Everyday Situations' ... found via StealTheBandwagon
* Poop-Scooper - the backup career of choice? ... "It sure beats computer programming because it's flexible, and I get to be outside"
* True : Naked rampage
* 'Man frequents tavern to break religious spirit'
* Nuclear Korea missile bullseye forces Plankton to negotiate
* England pleads guilty y to prisoner abuse
* US Foreign Policy hurting hurting our students-abroad chances of getting laid
* Long-lost bird rediscovered, causes inappropriate national interest
* Laura makes 'Yo Mama' jokes
* 'Senators ponder nuclear option; John Bolton given Norelco option'
* What kind of World Leader are you? ... maybe I'll finish this later and post results ...
* Flash : Storm Trooper realizes the error of his ways, a moment too late
Quotes of the Day
Our tendency is to hoard tasks, put up walls and make ourselves “indispensable.” ‘Course, everyone is replaceable, so let’s just get rid of the indispensability myth right up front. Sure, replacing some folks takes a little more effort, but there are no sacred cows here.
--thanks Slacker Manager, via YAFLE!
Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.--thanks ADAP!
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is bliss, taste it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it!